Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Norinco 7.62x39mm 122gr FMJ 20rds red box

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BeaverMeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastdonkeynads View Post
    I have used nothing but these in my type 81 and have never had corrosion problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastdonkeynads View Post
    Agreed, I have never had an issue and probably put 1k ammo through it.
    Depends on your climate/storage conditions.

I’m on Vancouver Island and my rifle started to corrode slightly after 1000+ rounds.
    "There's a big ... machine in the sky, ... some kind of electric snake ... coming straight at us."
    "Shoot it," said my attorney.
    "Not yet," I said. "I want to study its habits.

Quote Originally Posted by Halkon View Post
    This is steel core rigth?
    Mild steel… almost the same density as lead. There is a video with Gun Jesus somewhere where he tests out the whole “steel core is armour piercing” debate and debunked it. Lead core causes more “damage” to steel targets compared to mild steel. The cheap steel tends to shatter on impact.
    "There's a big ... machine in the sky, ... some kind of electric snake ... coming straight at us."

CGN frequent flyer
    Sticks to magnet?

Quote Originally Posted by chicu1981 View Post
    Sticks to magnet?
    Definitely, steel case and steel core.
    NON SERVIAM

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverMeat View Post
    Mild steel… almost the same density as lead. There is a video with Gun Jesus somewhere where he tests out the whole “steel core is armour piercing” debate and debunked it. Lead core causes more “damage” to steel targets compared to mild steel. The cheap steel tends to shatter on impact.
    Thanks for the response, I'm just worried that the range I have considered to become a member doesn't allow steel core as it has a pretty clear policy:

"What ammunition is not permitted?
    Steel core, steel jacket, tracer, combustible, igniting, or explosive materials are not permitted."

I already have a case of 1440 surplus in anticipation of my T81 arrival, but it looks like any alternative is not any better, they all seem to be either steel core or jacket or both.

Quote Originally Posted by chicu1981 View Post
    Sticks to magnet?
    The magnet test is not conclusive, as it would be steel jacketed and still stick to a magnet. But many ranges don't care about that - if they have a policy of no steel core and it sticks to a magnet, they won't let you use it.

That said, I can tell you Norinco red box 7.62x39 is steel core. The technical spec sheet that comes with the cases of 500 of these indicates that explicitly.
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA (Life), CPC, CHP

Quote Originally Posted by thegazelle View Post
    The magnet test is not conclusive, as it would be steel jacketed and still stick to a magnet. But many ranges don't care about that - if they have a policy of no steel core and it sticks to a magnet, they won't let you use it.
    That said, I can tell you Norinco red box 7.62x39 is steel core. The technical spec sheet that comes with the cases of 500 of these indicates that explicitly.
    A bit more complex. The tech spec sheet says: "4.4. The cartridge is composed of copper-coated steel rimless bottle neck case, steel core, lead sheath and copper-coated steel jacket bullet, Berdan primer and 2/1 camphor propellant". The important part is the lead sheath. So, between the steel jacket and a steel core there is lead.
    Obviously, the red box is NON-CORROSIVE.

All in all, an old thread resurrected!
    Last edited by 05RAV; 03-27-2024 at 04:03 PM.
    NFA CCFR CSSA
    CPC PC Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Halkon View Post
    Thanks for the response, I'm just worried that the range I have considered to become a member doesn't allow steel core as it has a pretty clear policy:

"What ammunition is not permitted?
    Steel core, steel jacket, tracer, combustible, igniting, or explosive materials are not permitted."

I already have a case of 1440 surplus in anticipation of my T81 arrival, but it looks like any alternative is not any better, they all seem to be either steel core or jacket or both.
    Your range needs get thier head out their butts…

“Who’s damaging the range? It’s not my 338 Lapua because it’s mine. Must be those damned people with them cheap Commie guns!”

Prejudice is strong in the Canadian firearms… “community”.

Anyone ever do a velocity read on these? I had a box that was shooting 2100-2200 FPS out of a 20" SKS. Not sure if it was that batch, or if its all loaded a little light.

Quote Originally Posted by 05RAV View Post
    A bit more complex. The tech spec sheet says: "4.4. The cartridge is composed of copper-coated steel rimless bottle neck case, steel core, lead sheath and copper-coated steel jacket bullet, Berdan primer and 2/1 camphor propellant". The important part is the lead sheath. So, between the steel jacket and a steel core there is lead.
    Obviously, the red box is NON-CORROSIVE.

All in all, an old thread resurrected!
    Fair point. Unfortunately I doubt some ranges who have blanket no steel core rules, will care for the technical nuances. They will just use the magnet and say "not allowed".
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA (Life), CPC, CHP