Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of fraud...

Speaking of fraud...

In early November 2021 I took the CFSC/CRFSC courses facilitated by Target Sports, with Leslie Swan instructing. As far as I was aware at the time, everything was as expected during the three days, I completed the required four exams with results ranging from 94%-100%, I sent off my application to the CFP/RCMP and my RPAL was issued in early March.

Last week I called the CFO-ON to check on the status of a restricted transfer and was advised that there was an issue with my safety training instructor and as a result, both my training and subsequently my license were invalid and was directed to contact the Firearms Safety Education Service of Ontario - the body that trains and accredits firearms safety course instructors in Ontario.

The FSESO informed me that Swan's designation and his license to teach the courses had been revoked - in August of 2021 - yet he had continued to teach the courses through December of 2021. Target Sports continued to book students for Swan's classes during that time, taking deposits from them and slotting them into a scheduled class.

The net result of this is all students, which could possibly number in the hundreds, who took their safety training with Swan after August 2021 have nothing to show for it & will be required to retake the training at their own expense, having wasted their original course fees paid to Target Sports for the deposit and Swan for the balance.

PLEASE SEE THE LAST POST IN THIS THREAD BY JR: ANYONE AFFECTED BY THIS PLEASE REACH OUT AND YOU WILL RECIEVE A FULL REFUND!
    Last edited by TSE JR; 04-22-2022 at 10:21 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Johnyy's Avatar
    What a Cluster F*c. There's ways to get your $ back. I hope you & everyone does, & maybe more! This 'instructor' guy needs to get sued.

Small claims court possible in Ontario?

Target Sports should reimburse and go after SWAN themselves, they hired him.

Quote Originally Posted by Helka View Post
    totally!
    May 1st 2020, clear proof;
    Registration leads to confiscation!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Johnyy's Avatar
    Also, since you can just 'Challenge the Test', w/o taking any cless, & since you send them in yourself..so in a way, it shouldnt really matter about the "Instructor", per say, as long as you passed, it's a Standard Gov test...hmmm..I dunno.

wow talking about being scammed

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chuckbuster's Avatar
    Not far enough north of Premier Orville Reddenbacher
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyy View Post
    Also, since you can just 'Challenge the Test', w/o taking any cless, & since you send them in yourself..so in a way, it shouldnt really matter about the "Instructor", per say, as long as you passed, it's a Standard Gov test...hmmm..I dunno.
    Test challenges were ended a number of years ago.
    Look to your front! Mark your target when it comes.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer handofzeus's Avatar
    I feel your pain. Years ago when I decided to upgrade to an RPAL I got in touch with a certified instructor who did the exams out of his converted house. I couldn't meet any of his scheduled test dates due to work and him being out of town so he graciously accommodated my schedule and I did the exam. I was actually surprised how tough he was on the practical stuff but I passed with a 96. He warned me about the wording of some questions and I walked right into a couple! Anyway, all good and fast forward a year later AFTER I've purchased a couple handguns and I go to by a Mosin M44. The vendor says my PAL has been flagged! Within a week of that notification while I'm trying to figure out what's going on I get a letter from the CFO at the time Chris (kiss my ass I'm glad you're gone) Wyatt. Apparently my instructor was under investigation for letting students call out answers on the exam to let everyone then write them down and due to this investigation my licence was on "administrative hold". I called someone at the CFO office and told them what had happened. I was then informed that my licence was valid but could not be used to acquire anything at all until I retook the exam for free. I explained that there was no impropriety during my exam as I was the only student and it was one on one. NOPE! Had to rewrite it or my licence would remain unusable indefinitely. After some nasty letters were sent to Wyatt's office I resat the exam with a sanctioned examiner and left with a perfect score. That experience left a bitter taste for the whole damn firearms bureaucracy in this country.
    Canada ended when Trudeau began.

Quote Originally Posted by Helka View Post
    +1. You took the course in good faith that the instructor's credentials and / or registration was current and valid. It is interesting as any course I have taken in the past - I never once thought "hmmm...is this guy or gal qualified, licensed and vetted to teach this?", especially if it is through a larger facility that employed him or her.

The onus is on the facility to ensure that their instructors' credentials are valid. Definitely Target owes their students a full refund.
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA (Life), CPC, CHP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast