Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Shooting

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribstaylor View Post
    I've never thought shooting firearms or Air guns could look so boring. But Olympic shooting literally takes any of the fun factor out, and puts it squarely in the category of boring. It's boring to watch, it's boring to read about, it's boring to do. No wonder it's how the Olympics do shooting sports, as they are just as caught up in current day politics as the rest of these horrible global event groups.
    Boring and very high scoring. That is why there are pairs and team matches. The top dozen individual shooters would be on the line for weeks until one of them suddenly developed a heartbeat and threw a nine.
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brutus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wai762 View Post
    I used to compete in the 10m Air pistol and 50m Free pistol event, so here is my two cents.
    There are a few pistol events:
    1. 10 meter Air pistol - 0.177 cal PCP air pistol shot at 10 meter
    2. Standard Pistol - 0.22 cal (22LR) semi auto pistol shot at 25 meter (?)
    3. Rapid Pistol - 0.22 cal (22 shot ?) semi auto pistol shot at 25 meter
    4. Center Fire Pistol - 0.32 cal or more (I think 38 Special was popular at one time) semi auto pistol (revolver was used long ago) shot at 25m
    5. Free Pistol - 0.22 cal (22LR) pistol shot at 50m

There are very strict equipment rules for event 1~4, size, weight, barrel length, trigger weight etc
    For Free Pistol, I don't think there is much rules, hence the term "Free Pistol", I don't know whether you can use a Glock though, as most Free Pistol are single shot with electronic trigger with trigger pull weight in grams ( like 5 grams or less ).

the biggest obstacles for hosting Olympic Shooting event is the range, you need specialize target carrying system for both the 25 m and the 50 m. Event 2~4 requires timed turning targets which I think is not cheap.
    I guess you can train for Free Pistol if you have a 50 m range, which use a static target. But a proper 50 m target system is a must if you want to be good.
    I would not mind if more Olympic range is available in Canada, I would loved to get back into Free Pistol again.
    The IOC is not our friend. There's one correction to this list Free Pistol is no longer an Olympic medalled event. IIRC, last medalled event was in South America. (2014-15?)

Sad thing is, it was the eldest shooting event since 1897.
    They quietly dropped it and the complicit media didn't even raise one eyebrow. 50 meter men's pistol event.

Technically one could have competed in a sanctioned 50 meter match, single handed bullseye, using a single loaded revolver or semi auto in 22 LR. You would be up against a brick wall. Everyone else with Toz-35, Hammerli, Pardini and ergonomic grips.
    But it's gone now so....

They tried this malarkey for the London Olympics pentathlon event. It's several disciplines: running swimming horse back riding fencing pistol match.
    They wanted to eliminate the match air pistol to some light emitted ghey thing. Didn't happen.
    The IOC is always trying to carve off a shooting discipline!
    Last edited by Brutus; 10-21-2022 at 09:17 PM.
    Canadian government runs on trans, ###s and French speaking women. Let them fight the next war over there.
    Myself i will crack a beer and merely watch.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brutus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
    Boring and very high scoring. That is why there are pairs and team matches. The top dozen individual shooters would be on the line for weeks until one of them suddenly developed a heartbeat and threw a nine.
    Sure. But it is a shooting discipline that deserves recognition. Olympic Committees are hoping persons such as yourself become the majority so without resistance they have carte blanche to chop away at another shooting event.
    Pistol events are seemingly always endangered.
    Canadian government runs on trans, ###s and French speaking women. Let them fight the next war over there.
    Myself i will crack a beer and merely watch.

I don't think the idea is without merit but as mentioned I have no doubt that the Federal body, which is federally funded, will be at risk of having funding pulled as a threat if they even considered such an idea.

Reading over the regulations, it seems like the best approach would be for provinces with more "friendly" CFOs (as they're the ones who will consider the "letter") and approach their respective provincial regulating bodies for such a letter for a transfer.

I also think that since there's no definition of what constitutes "training" or "competing" that it can be argued that any 22lr pistol can fit the bill as one who is "training" for the discipline without experience shouldn't be expected to fork up 3 grand for a Walther GSP for example. I will admit I am not very experienced with Olympic shooting as some other posters in this thread but from what I can see Free Pistol - which is the basis of trying to get most other 22lrs in besides competition ones - is still on the Paralympic program, no?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Sure. But it is a shooting discipline that deserves recognition. Olympic Committees are hoping persons such as yourself become the majority so without resistance they have carte blanche to chop away at another shooting event.
    Pistol events are seemingly always endangered.
    Brutus, don't get me wrong. I've shot bullseye and IPSC over the years. My father shot in two Olympics, so the genes are there.
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiahpoint View Post
    I guess the question is.....will you cut off your hand in order to qualify for the Paralympics?
    Ain't that next on the retarded liberals communist agenda?!?!?
    ***Terms of all sales***
    -"I'll take it" with payment trumps all dialogue
    - Insurance is Buyers responsibly, so please request

view photos ask your wife BEFORE making offers

Quote Originally Posted by Bfranklin View Post
    I guess it's all worth it after noticing the immediate reduction in crime this morning.
    Yes indeed. Only a few hours after the announcement, another shooting in the TO area is front page news… You know what? I hope that there are many more. This is what it will take for people to wake up.

CGN frequent flyer
    You are hoping that there are many more shootings......no wonder the world is such a mess......isn't that what caused all the gun control in the first place...won't more shootings lead to more control......bad place to express these types of opinions when anyone can read them......

This is the new Republica de Canadazuela
    You're out!

Quote Originally Posted by Umpire View Post
    This is the new Republica de Canadazuela
    Sounds tropical! How'z the UBI?
    Dr. Catenstein Acres: "Nobody is welcome!"