Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Sulun SR-410! New nickle version.

Uber Super GunNutz Mikehenrybell's Avatar
    The 410 slugs will perform like short-range 45 long colt, so no, maybe put all shells into the head before it jumped on you? Gotta use 12Ga bear slugs or 00 buck to do the trick.

Ok got out and did some shooting
    I find this stock length much better than the older one.
    Still getting a bit of spray back in your face but no where close as the other one did. Wear your glasses and you’ll be fine.
    As you can see in the pics it gets really dirty
    I didn’t really do a accuracy test but the 5 slugs I had were almost all touching at 15 yards.
    The PDX Defender stuff is devistating and would not want to get shot with that stuff.
    Overall I’m impressed with this new version. I sold the older model one because of all the spray back in my face.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Holy cow it gets filthy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    She's a dirty bird that's for sure..... that's the beauty of a dark finished wheel gun.... less deep cleaning and scrubbing needed!

Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

Is that just how wheel guns are? That's filthy. I could see that wearing at the wood grip eventually... Or is it the ammo?

Guh that is a thing of beauty
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -- George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Schwiggs View Post
    Is that just how wheel guns are? That's filthy. I could see that wearing at the wood grip eventually... Or is it the ammo?
    Revolvers get dirty up at the front of the cylinders, it's possible that the plastic hulls don't seal up as well as brass or that shotgun shells are smokier because that's way more soot then is typical of a revolver. The fact that people are complaining about debris coming back towards the face of the shooter tells me that they run on the dirty side.....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TERMINATOR101CA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Can-down View Post
    She's a dirty bird that's for sure..... that's the beauty of a dark finished wheel gun.... less deep cleaning and scrubbing needed!

Harder to clean if you can't see the dirt though...
    Have one coming in nickel, hope the finish is done properly and doesn't peel.

Quote Originally Posted by TERMINATOR101CA View Post
    Harder to clean if you can't see the dirt though...
    Have one coming in nickel, hope the finish is done properly and doesn't peel.
    True just like a white shirt or white grout, but it doesn't need to be hospital clean, most of my stainless revolvers have a dark ring around exit hole of the cylinder as I don't bother polishing them out. A polished stainless gun will be easier to deal with then other finishes as the pores of the metal will be less prone to holding dirt. The larger the pores in the metal finish the more it will hold dirt.

With a blued or dark finish you can assume there is soot and carbon after firing, specially if it's all the way down to your trigger finger!
    Just give it a good cleaning that removes the easy to remove fouling to the point where it's not transferring to a rag or your hand when handling the gun.

If you want to keep it minty fresh clean it might be possible to pre treat the surfaces before shooting and fill the pores so to speak with a release agent to help with that?
    Maybe a dry lube or some cooking spray.... Some black powder shooters swear the crisco that they use to seal the balls also lubes the barrel and helps when it comes time to clean out the fouling.

Other then that, Where a glove, and wipe it down as quickly as possible maybe even while your still at the range. There are some tricks and tips for keeping a stainless revolver mint looking but they typically involve polishing or mild abrasive scrubbing.

There are barrier creams for hands as well that make it easier to clean off oil and grease from your skin and also offer some mild protection from absorption of toxins but the thin rubber gloves most mechanics use are best. I wonder if a hand barrier cream would work as a metal pore filler/release agent?

Maybe PC9 will give us a report of how the cleaning went....
    Last edited by Can-down; 04-23-2023 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Can-down View Post

Maybe PC9 will give us a report of how the cleaning went....
    Ask and thee shall receive
    So I think it turned out ok. I could probably put a little more elbow grease into it but I figured I’m just going to get it dirty again sometime soon.
    Started with some G96 but it needed something else so I used my favourite cologne Hoppes #9
    Attached Images Attached Images