Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another True North Arms Garand horror story. Good dealer but DONT BUY THEIR GARANDS

CGN Regular

Another True North Arms Garand horror story. Good dealer but DONT BUY THEIR GARANDS

So about 7 months ago, I purchased an M1 garand from TNA. I purchased it over layaway as I was in my off-season at work, and happily got it. Well, then my contract started, so I checked fitment, everything looked good, and I saw that they had fired two rounds of barnaul through it no problem, so I essentially put it in mu climate controlled safe and went home. I just finished up work for a few weeks, saw a thread on the TNA Garands, and decided to check mine. I checked every part with a caliper, found them all to be in spec, and even waited patiently for Garand Grease in exact spec to arrive. I went to the range tonight, loaded 8 rounds of M2 ball, 150 grain, Garand specific ammo.

On my 9th round, the OP rod exploded.

Included in a link to catbox, an image sharing sight, it is a picture of the Garand, with exploded OP rod.
    The part I am holding is the end of the oprod. I made sure to do everything exactly right. I’ll be reaching out to TNA in the AM to see what they can do. Hopefully they’ll be able to fix this.
    This rifle was advertised as Field Grade - tired wood but perfectly working internals.

If a gun can’t get through a total of 11 rounds since being purchased, it’s not exactly “perfectly working” is it?

Very sad day.
    Picture: https://files.catbox.moe/gkame8.jpeg

UPDATE:

TNA HAS FIXED MY PROBLEM. THEY ROCK! Collin in particular is a SUPERSTAR. They didn't have to fix this at all, but they are taking care of it.

I'll keep this thread up so that people know how awesome TNA are, how even with a customer who bought their gun several months ago, they still agreed to fix it, and that they are 100% a class act!

Thanks everyone who replied, good and bad! I appreciate all the input and messages of support.
    GO TNA!!!
    Last edited by AskMeAboutMyBandcamp; 08-09-2023 at 11:48 AM.

Look likes someone replaced the piston. But when installing the new tip must have extremely over heat treated.

3006 or 308?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by can14 View Post
    3006 or 308?
    30-06, and the shells that are on the gun case are the only rounds it actually got through before the thing decided to crap out lol.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by L.Parratt View Post
    Look likes someone replaced the piston. But when installing the new tip must have extremely over heat treated.
    Perhaps. The accuracy wasn’t as terrible as the other gentleman’s, and I will say that TNA, especially Collin, were kind to me during the purchasing process.

CGN Regular
    UPDATE: I emailed TNA last night and will wait for an update from them.
    I would just be happy if they sent me a new operating rod. As I said, the gun worked fine otherwise, and was actually quite accurate (I am not the best shooter and I've got poor eyesight, but I was hitting a paper plate every time at 100 yards)

Not that i'm defending TNA, but "exploded" is serious melodramatic for the end of the oprod breaking off.
    I'm more interested in where they sourced the oprods for their builds, so I can look out of that in the future. Only real way to prevent this would be to magnaflux each and every part of a rifle before building it, which would cost more than the parts do.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    So it was all in spec, satisfactory condition, no issues, test fired ok.

And then a multiple decades old part failed while you were shooting it. What would you have expected them to do about that ahead of time...? Do you think they knew the part was going to fail but sent it to you anyways?

"Horror story" is being a bit dramatic, don't you think?

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty454 View Post
    So it was all in spec, satisfactory condition, no issues, test fired ok.

And then a multiple decades old part failed while you were shooting it. What would you have expected them to do about that ahead of time...? Do you think they knew the part was going to fail but sent it to you anyways?

"Horror story" is being a bit dramatic, don't you think?
    No, I don’t think it’s dramatic. I think that by definition if a firearm can’t get through more than one enbloc lf ammunition made specifically for it, that that’s a horror story.
    Nobody pays 2300$ for a firearm and is happy if it shoots 9 shots, less the two steel cased shots they shot (which split the cases).

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose762 View Post
    Not that i'm defending TNA, but "exploded" is serious melodramatic for the end of the oprod breaking off.
    I'm more interested in where they sourced the oprods for their builds, so I can look out of that in the future. Only real way to prevent this would be to magnaflux each and every part of a rifle before building it, which would cost more than the parts do.
    No problem, I understand. I say “exploded” due to what actually happened when the rifle shot. Bang, and then the parts flew apart lol.
    I understand that it wasn’t “blown out” like it coulda been

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast