Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FELLOW DEALERS READ THIS: Shocking Fraudulent Transaction!!!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Ipscshooters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by badboybeeson View Post
    Plot twist...
    The client is the scammer..
    This is how they do it now
    They use real people and real cards.
    Then do a charge back
    Optics are easly sold. On eBay and of back to dodgy dealers
    Start using air tags and other security devices on high value items.
    Also Quebec is when most of this happens.
    This exactly, it's the client 100%, claimed fraud, did charge back and made police report, kept item for himself or resold it

I don't think deliver driver needs to check customer's ID.
    Driver usually asks the person who takes the package what is your name and see if the name matches on the label.

But the most of the time, drivers just give it to anyone who opens the door because as long as they are sure that is the address on the label.

Well driver releases a signature required box is very wrong.

If no one at home, CP drivers will leave a card on your door and put your box in your local CP office.
    When you pick it up, the CP staff will check your ID.

As someone who worked in ecommerce for many years, Quebec was a red flag for any orders. They keep it under $5000, as theft under $5k is treated differently.

We only shipped to the same address as on the credit card. Anything over $1000, we actually called the customer on the same phone number that was attached to their credit card, to verify they ordered the product.

You can call the credit card company and verify the phone number and address matches their billing/shipping and phone number.

This reduced 99% of scamming.

As a firearms dealer, you may not do as much verification on non firearms/ammo orders as you have their PAL. So its orders that dont have a verified PAL you will need to watch out for. Especially optics, as they are easy to resell.

I'd air tag the heck out of high value items.
    Also as a customer I'd have no problem doing a phone call to verify any information

Business Member Shooting Warehouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SPACEFORCE View Post
    I'd air tag the heck out of high value items.
    Also as a customer I'd have no problem doing a phone call to verify any information
    The problem with an airtag, is once the "scammer" picks it up at the post office, they remove the airtag and dump it.

And worst of all, I spoke with the "customer" over the phone 3 times and we had around 6 email exchanges before I shipped out the Leica Bino's. But they use a phone number that doesn't belong to the REAL person, and an email address they create on gmail, so you don't know you're not speaking with the REAL customer. And I decided to ship it to their actual credit card registered address, with a card for pickup and signature required. They "intercepted" the package as they had the tracking info. And Montreal Police have now confirmed the REAL person's ID had been stolen and used several places.

As a dealer, what more can one do... I called the customer a few times, I told the customer I would only ship Canada Post to their address but with card for pickup as I thought it to be the safest way... They were happy to have me send it Fedex or UPS with signature on delivery or to collect from a Fedex or UPS depot... It all sounded legit, especially after I had 2 companies do fraud checks, and both came out as "low risk", with advice to SHIP.

Anyway, it's not over yet - I have a fight coming for Canada Post and Mastercard.

I actually have GREAT customers in QC - just these pricks scammed me.

Robbie Stewart | Shooting Warehouse Sport Optics Ltd.
    Email: robert@shootingwarehouse.com
    Tel: 403-430-1166

Quote Originally Posted by wifigary View Post
    The IP in your photo tracks to:
    Bell Canada BELLNEXXIA-11 (NET-70-48-0-0-1) 70.48.0.0 - 70.55.255.255
    Bell DSL Internet Quebec DSL-70-48-129-0-1604942812 (NET-70-48-129-0-1) 70.48.129.0 - 70.48.129.255

You can try talking to bell, or get the cops to request the owner of that IP address.

worth trying
    Gary.
    The fact he didn't care about his IP is the funniest part of that lol. If he'd use a VPN, it wouldn't come back up as a mainstream ISP like that. Unless stolen wifi or public wifi. But still, narrows it down. For a 4k loss, might be worth it to pursue further. Guy is an idiot as the ip gave me gps coords of 45.5027, -73.5685. Correlates to 1225 Blvd Robert-Bourassa, Montreal. With the help of Bell, you can easily get the apartment number as that's the type of building. If it were a business complex, could've been a VPN node location for x company. Maybe I'm wrong with the coords though hard to say.

Checked with a friend who's ""good with computers"" and can't rely on any tools to get direct location. Have to go trough ISP.
    Last edited by Jeanmat; 08-12-2023 at 12:23 AM. Reason: asked someone smarter than me

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I think Beeson is right.

Client is the scammer.

Claims of identity theft don't pass scrutiny.

hacked credit card is not identity theft

It would mean that package would go to a different address etc and other accounts were hacked

First thing to do with a stolen credit card is change the shipping address.

Many times its not just the card that was compromised but other accounts as well....

CP is full of pretty useless employees. Back in 2017 I bought a Colt MRR (AR15) and had it shipped via canada post. They were supposed to drop off a card so I could pick it up. Instead I came home at 6pm to find it on my doorstep. I've complained many times about how they disregarded the instructions (signature 19+, local pick up, etc) that costed extra and dumped packages on my doorstep. Luckily I've never had any stolen, even though I was in a bad neighborhood.
    Buy Bitcoin!

Would EMT's be better for high price items? Sad but so many dirt bags are out there hitting elderly and honest people. No integrity. Sorry for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm1968 View Post
    Would EMT's be better for high price items? Sad but so many dirt bags are out there hitting elderly and honest people. No integrity. Sorry for your loss.
    I don't know why all businesses don't provide EMT as an option. Is it expensive/difficult to setup for a business? Maybe requires a new e-commerce system purchase/upgrade I guess?

If EMT is an option for any private/business transaction, I always use EMT. More and more businesses (that don't use EMT) are now forcing their customers to have the same billing and shipping addresses.
    That doesn't work for me, so it means I have to buy elsewhere. Businesses are between a rock and a hard place with this issue.

As far as the people that steal, it seems to be getting worse and more widespread.
    The West wants Out!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast