Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FELLOW DEALERS READ THIS: Shocking Fraudulent Transaction!!!!

Business Member Shooting Warehouse's Avatar

FELLOW DEALERS READ THIS: Shocking Fraudulent Transaction!!!!

I wanted to just let some other fellow dealers know what had happened to me recently.

I got an online order from a customer in Montreal, QC in May 2023 for a new Leica Geovid Pro 8x42 worth around $4800 with tax.

My card processor marked the credit card transaction as "low risk, advised to ship order", but I have had several attempted fraudulent transactions all from Quebec (I have GREAT QC customers, so this is not at all aimed at people living in QC, but rather all the scammers that seem to reside there) - so I approached the order with caution like I always do.

From the credit card fraud analysis, everything checked out (see screenshot attached).

I first emailed the customer and told them I would ship Canada Post to their credit card registered address, and the customer was happy with that. I then emailed the customer a few times before shipping, and everything was again verified, and I waited 3 days to ship the package - which I had "arranged" with the customer - this would afford me some time should there be a fraudulent credit card charge, so the "real" customer could see their card was charged fraudulently, but all went smoothly... Or so I thought.

I shipped the product out, sending the customer an email with Canada Post tracking info, and fully insured the package.

Fast forward 3 weeks, and I get an email from the "real" customer, informing me they were the victim of ID fraud, and that they had opened a "case" with Canada Post as well as Montreal Police, and that they had now disputed the transaction with their bank. They had received a card for pickup in their mailbox a couple of days after the package was delivered, and upon going to the Post Office, were told the package had already been collected....

Long story short, I got a $4800 chargeback and lost the money, pending a full investigation. I did everything in my power to ship to the correct address etc etc.

We provided the customers' bank with all the relevant info, shipping labels, email comms between me and the fraudster etc etc, and this morning, the customers' bank sided with the customer (wow, I'm not even shocked by that, as I knew I had NO leg to stand on even though I was 100% correct in everything I did), and I now finally "lost" the $4800.

I am positive the person at Canada Post was involved with this scam, as they needed to have checked ID and get a signature - unless the scammer actually also falsified an ID or drivers license... Who knows.

The police couldn't do anything, and Canada Post shrugged their shoulders, with NO compensation, as the package was "successfully delivered" - even though to a scammer.

I don't know what else one could do as a dealer, but it's made me rethink doing ANY credit card transactions for orders from QC, given I'm had several attempted fraudulent transactions from QC, but got lucky and never actually lost any product.

I hope no other dealers get caught by this - hence me sharing the experience.

Stay well everyone.

Cheers

Robbie

Name:  Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 12.04.53.jpg
Views: 3349
Size:  67.5 KB

Robbie Stewart | Shooting Warehouse
    Email: robert@shootingwarehouse.com
    Tel: 403-430-1166

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Armourall's Avatar
    I just had a package dropped off at my door even though I told them I wanted it left at the Post Office for pickup.....go figure. Then there's the "Signature required" and it isn't my signature - left on my front porch.

Both of these are Canada Post.... What a scam operation they run. I'm sure it would be cheaper to ship through another business especially now with the rates going up in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourall View Post
    I'm sure it would be cheaper to ship through another business especially now with the rates going up in September.
    I actually almost exclusively use UPS, Puro and Fedex, but they don't always get a signature either, and I didn't want them to leave a $4800 order at the door, so used Canada Post with Card for Pickup as well as Signature required - and still got scammed - and like I said, either the Post Office gave it to the scammers without actually checking ID of the buyer, or the scammers had the customers' ID faked as well... who knows. But lesson learnt.

I would suspect the post office as well. In my home town the local mail carrier sold vhs tapes and had a business called “popcorn man” to do so… Turns out he was stealing packages and even sending away for some with those old stamps the record companies would send out for orders. It was hiding in plain sight but the guy seamed like an outstanding person… Anyways, union protected him but his family did relocate! Fraud is everywhere. I’m sorry this happened to you! That’s terrible.
    Insurance on packages must be requested and paid for by the buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by pipeliner View Post
    I would suspect the post office as well. In my home town the local mail carrier sold vhs tapes and had a business called “popcorn man” to do so… Turns out he was stealing packages and even sending away for some with those old stamps the record companies would send out for orders. It was hiding in plain sight but the guy seamed like an outstanding person… Anyways, union protected him but his family did relocate! Fraud is everywhere. I’m sorry this happened to you! That’s terrible.
    I told the customers' bank as well as Montreal Police that I'm pretty sure the Post Office was also involved or were negligent - they should have checked the ID of the person "intercepting" the package when picking up at the post office... And they don't need to see the actual "card left for pickup" - they just need the tracking number (which I obviously sent to the scammers as they used a different GMAIL email address)...

The bottom line here, is card processors charge a 3% fee to merchants, yet the bank NEVER loses money... I understand the real customer here had their identity stolen, but why should the merchant lose the money. So the customer is never ever on the hook, and the merchant takes 100% of the loss. It sucks. Anyway, onward and forward we go. Haha.

With FexEx Express, make sure to specify you want the package to be "DSR". Otherwise, yes signatures are *encouraged* but not enforced and the packages can be left outside homes with a picture proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanmat View Post
    With FexEx Express, make sure to specify you want the package to be "DSR". Otherwise, yes signatures are *encouraged* but not enforced and the packages can be left outside homes with a picture proof.
    Yup, I use DSR from time to time. Thanks

I got scamed hundreds of dollars by a guy based in QC.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Janeau's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooting Warehouse View Post
    I wanted to just let some other fellow dealers know what had happened to me recently.

I got an online order from a customer in Montreal, QC in May 2023 for a new Leica Geovid Pro 8x42 worth around $4800 with tax.

My card processor marked the credit card transaction as "low risk, advised to ship order", but I have had several attempted fraudulent transactions all from Quebec (I have GREAT QC customers, so this is not at all aimed at people living in QC, but rather all the scammers that seem to reside there) - so I approached the order with caution like I always do.

From the credit card fraud analysis, everything checked out (see screenshot attached).

I first emailed the customer and told them I would ship Canada Post to their credit card registered address, and the customer was happy with that. I then emailed the customer a few times before shipping, and everything was again verified, and I waited 3 days to ship the package - which I had "arranged" with the customer - this would afford me some time should there be a fraudulent credit card charge, so the "real" customer could see their card was charged fraudulently, but all went smoothly... Or so I thought.

I shipped the product out, sending the customer an email with Canada Post tracking info, and fully insured the package.

Fast forward 3 weeks, and I get an email from the "real" customer, informing me they were the victim of ID fraud, and that they had opened a "case" with Canada Post as well as Montreal Police, and that they had now disputed the transaction with their bank. They had received a card for pickup in their mailbox a couple of days after the package was delivered, and upon going to the Post Office, were told the package had already been collected....

Long story short, I got a $4800 chargeback and lost the money, pending a full investigation. I did everything in my power to ship to the correct address etc etc.

We provided the customers' bank with all the relevant info, shipping labels, email comms between me and the fraudster etc etc, and this morning, the customers' bank sided with the customer (wow, I'm not even shocked by that, as I knew I had NO leg to stand on even though I was 100% correct in everything I did), and I now finally "lost" the $4800.

I am positive the person at Canada Post was involved with this scam, as they needed to have checked ID and get a signature - unless the scammer actually also falsified an ID or drivers license... Who knows.

The police couldn't do anything, and Canada Post shrugged their shoulders, with NO compensation, as the package was "successfully delivered" - even though to a scammer.

I don't know what else one could do as a dealer, but it's made me rethink doing ANY credit card transactions for orders from QC, given I'm had several attempted fraudulent transactions from QC, but got lucky and never actually lost any product.

Stay well everyone.

Cheers

Robbie

There is a fraud department at the Sūreté du Quebec..you have the ip adress..it can be tracked.
    I see it as the package was stolen from the post office..anyway go SQ not Montreal Police (SPVM).
    Can you contest the CC company decision ? Good were delivered and picked up after all.

When fraudster get a scam..they try to use it everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooting Warehouse View Post

Stay well everyone.

Cheers

Robbie

Plot twist...
    The client is the scammer..
    This is how they do it now
    They use real people and real cards.
    Then do a charge back
    Optics are easly sold. On eBay and of back to dodgy dealers
    Start using air tags and other security devices on high value items.
    Also Quebec is when most of this happens.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast