Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: FELLOW DEALERS READ THIS: Shocking Fraudulent Transaction!!!!

Business Member
    As a business who has dealt with fraud resulting from online purchases, your only option is as mentioned, the Sûreté du Québec fraud section. They have recovered money for us and our local authorities were the first to admit that they are superior in dealing with fraud. When Donna is back to work(Friday), she and Jen can go through fraud prevention protocol which is 99% effective.

Regards,

Peter
    http://www.hirschprecision.com/

Business Member Monashee Outdoors's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that this happened to you Robbie. It's like a kick to the #### with a frozen boot.
    We had two instances of fraud like this about a year ago, both were for optics worth about $2500 each. They were shipped to the lower mainland, North Van and Burnaby. The chargebacks were not until about 6 months after the transactions! The credit card owner has a year to file a claim!
    Two different courier companies used, one pick up at a depot - video expired of course.
    RCMP were very thorough, keeping in contacting us for about 3 months after starting the investigation. Even when they interviewed one guy at the address in question "he had a friend staying there" - they can only push so hard.
    We spent about 100 hours on the phone with the cc companies, processors, RCMP, couriers - end result we're left holding the empty bag. We did "everything right" but there's still vulnerability, and it stinks.

We've been told that etransfers can not be retracted, and we favour that for unknown customers. Just have to be cautious, customers that we contact for verification are usually very appreciative that we are being diligent.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathrawt View Post
    I know I'm prob gonna get flak for saying this but would getting the buyers PAL info help in preventing this in the future?
    If a thief steals someones credit card info and identity would they also have their PAL number? I guess if they stole a wallet from someone then they prob would have everything
    I know you don't need a PAL to buy a scope but it might prevent you from getting ripped off in the future. Maybe only request the PAL on high value products?
    I wouldn't like giving my PAL out for something like a scope purchase but if the vendor said it is only to help prevent theft I would be ok with it as long as it wasn't used for Govt tracking purposes
    neat idea I would give my pal pic with me in it for a high end scope purchase from a retailer

Jeff
    Life is too short.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CWallEh View Post
    Just an FYI, I get a lot of packages from Canada Post for pickup at a local Shoppers Drugmart. All that is required to pick up is ID and a signature, it doesn't have to match what is on the package. I almost always have our secretary pick up for me when she goes uptown every day and have never had a question about it. If you'd know a person's name who has a package for pickup I'm confident anyone could get it, at least my local one here in Manitoba.
    It's not supposed to work that way and Canada Post should be held responsible if they handed over a package to the wrong person.
    Our post office has cameras, the fact Canada Post seems to not care about a loss like this will only help make sure that the fraud continues.

Maybe a face time chat or video call of some sort would weed out the criminals..... although it sounds like the police and Canada Post don't seem to want pictures of the perp.
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TheCoachZed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aniest View Post
    This is absolutely correct. The person, the legal card holder of the credit card, is the scammer.

Canada Post parcel insurance is called Liability insurance for a reason: they can and do cover for theft due to the negligence of their staff.

Press them hard enough and they have to pay you.
    If only this were true. In my experience, they can and will drive a forklift over a box and break a stock, and refuse to pay insurance. Buyer Beware.

Gives up poor people of QC a bad name in the gun business. makes me nervous because i would rather order all my stuff online..
    I'll let people know lol

Business Member Shooting Warehouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdobson View Post
    As a business who has dealt with fraud resulting from online purchases, your only option is as mentioned, the Sûreté du Québec fraud section. They have recovered money for us and our local authorities were the first to admit that they are superior in dealing with fraud. When Donna is back to work(Friday), she and Jen can go through fraud prevention protocol which is 99% effective.

Regards,

Peter
    Thanks Peter - I would appreciate any guidance. I've had a few "attempted" fraud cases, but always got "sniff in the nose" and cancelled the transaction. This one, everything checked out.

And I have been speaking to Montreal Police and Sûreté du Québec but will contact Sûreté du Québec again this week.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Robbie

Robbie Stewart | Shooting Warehouse
    Email: robert@shootingwarehouse.com
    Tel: 403-430-1166

Business Member Shooting Warehouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monashee Outdoors View Post
    Sorry to hear that this happened to you Robbie. It's like a kick to the #### with a frozen boot.
    We had two instances of fraud like this about a year ago, both were for optics worth about $2500 each. They were shipped to the lower mainland, North Van and Burnaby. The chargebacks were not until about 6 months after the transactions! The credit card owner has a year to file a claim!
    Two different courier companies used, one pick up at a depot - video expired of course.
    RCMP were very thorough, keeping in contacting us for about 3 months after starting the investigation. Even when they interviewed one guy at the address in question "he had a friend staying there" - they can only push so hard.
    We spent about 100 hours on the phone with the cc companies, processors, RCMP, couriers - end result we're left holding the empty bag. We did "everything right" but there's still vulnerability, and it stinks.

We've been told that etransfers can not be retracted, and we favour that for unknown customers. Just have to be cautious, customers that we contact for verification are usually very appreciative that we are being diligent.
    I really appreciate the feedback. I'm busy looking into credit card transaction insurance now, specifically aimed at coverage for chargebacks. Will see where it leads me.

Robbie Stewart | Shooting Warehouse
    Email: robert@shootingwarehouse.com
    Tel: 403-430-1166

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678