Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington Small Pistol Primers

CGN Ultra frequent flyer VICIOUS's Avatar
    I run a TUNED double action revolver. It set off Federal 100 small pistol primers, small dent hit. Now using REM 1 1/2 as they make a bigger dent with the firing pin in double action mode.

PS. Do go to a REMINGTON factory home page and read what the manufacture say is the difference of 1 1/2 or 5 1/2

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BattleRife's Avatar
    Yes, do read what Remington actually says about the difference in their small pistol primers. Remington does not refer to the 5-1/2 primer as a magnum, and it is misleading to say it is.

The difference between the 1-1/2 and 5-1/2 is the strength to handle pressure. There is no difference between the two in terms of how they ignite. Longer, hotter flames to light big charges of slow-burning powders is what defines a magnum primer, and the 5-1/2 does not have this.

The 1-1/2 is a low-strength cup that is easily ignited by even soft blows. But the cup will deform under high pressures. As such it is great for things like .32 S&W Long, standard .38 Special, and others up to standard 9mm loadings (though I have seen internet reports of 9mm loads resulting in pierced primers, it definitely appears to be the top end of what they will hold up to).

The 5-1/2 is a higher strength cup to withstand pressures of .38 Special +P, major-load 9mm and upwards. But if your gun has the mainsprings to set them off, there is no reason not to use them in lower pressure rounds, too. It's best to think of the 5-1/2 as a standard small pistol primer, and the 1-1/2 as a special purpose primer for guns with weak ignition.
    --BattleRife

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by BattleRife View Post
    ...the 1-1/2 as a special purpose primer for guns with weak ignition.
    Thanks for the observation. I would like to hear comments from people who have used them in VERY light DA revolvers. I have tried Winchester, CCI, Federal, Fiocchi and Dominion (Russian) small pistol primers in my S&W Model 10 PPC gun and the only ones that reliably and consistently detonate are the Federal SP. Since they are not always available and are usually more expensive than the other brands I would love to have an alternative to go to if I can't get Federals but only if they are going to give me reliable detonation.

Quote Originally Posted by ted_dent View Post
    Thanks for the observation. I would like to hear comments from people who have used them in VERY light DA revolvers. I have tried Winchester, CCI, Federal, Fiocchi and Dominion (Russian) small pistol primers in my S&W Model 10 PPC gun and the only ones that reliably and consistently detonate are the Federal SP. Since they are not always available and are usually more expensive than the other brands I would love to have an alternative to go to if I can't get Federals but only if they are going to give me reliable detonation.
    Just stick with Federal. Stockpile when you can.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DEFUND TRUDEAU LIBERALS

“Racist: A person who wins an argument with a liberal” - Rush Limbaugh

There is no such thing as having too many Glocks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12