Thread: Can I Shoot My Antique?

Business Member Old Guns Canada's Avatar

Can I Shoot My Antique?

Usually the second question, after "How Much?".
    The short answer is yes, but you would be well advised to read the whole thread...
    First of all, you need to be aware that any handgun deemed to be an antique in Canada has to have been manufactured before January 1, 1898. So, as of this year, that is a minimum of 125 years! Beside all the exeptions (more later), 125 years ago guns were made differently, with different performance expectations. Primarily, this means that they were meant to be fired with black powder loads, a propellant which behaves a lot differently from today's smokeless powders. So, already you have a "qualifying" yes to the above question.

The next concern is the fact that you don't know who may have had this gun over the past 125 years, and what has been done to it. Not knowing the history of use (or abuse), storage, neglect, etc. could really make a difference when you take it out back and pop a few rounds through it. "Qualifying" yes number two.

Finally, even if these two concerns have been addressed, the legalistc quagmire in respect of using an antique gun just about requires a lawyer (which I am not). Police, customs, Fisheries and Wildlife officers receive little, if any training on firearms status. To them anything that goes bang is a potential prohib, and they will act on the side of caution (I don't blame them). So, if you don't have your ducks in a row, you may get into more trouble than the fun of shooting your black powder pistol in a gravel pit is worth, and your prized antique may end up being confiscated. Getting it back may prove harder than you think!

Now let me answer your question once more: yes, you can shoot an antique provided that:
    1. You are satisfied that the antique is in good enough condition to be fired (ask a qualified gunsmith, which I am not)
    2. You have the right ammunition and you know how to use it properly
    3. The discharge of firearms is allowed where you are. Although antique guns are not considered firearms in most cases (i.e. you don't need a PAL to own one), transportation, storage and discharge rules are the same for antiques as they are for all firearms.

Like I said, get your ducks in a row. I would recommend you carry PROOF of antique status of your gun with you when you take it to the range or gravel pit...
    Now go out and have some fun!
    Last edited by Old Guns Canada; 11-24-2023 at 12:49 AM.