Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: advice for 1 last rifle

You’re looking at this from the wrong angle. You buy a safe, and you lock the guns in the safe. My wife sounds a little bit like yours in that she has no interest in my firearms. If she doesn’t see them, it’s not even a topic.

Also, there is no such thing as one last gun.

Quote Originally Posted by coyoteshooter View Post
    one more vote for tika.....6.5 cr or 243....lee hand tool set....and your hooked.....after 50 yrs i still use the hand tool set for my best accuracy loads...the fun is out there and your off and running but learn one chapter well at a time......its as much fun to make em as shoot em don
    sounds like Tikka is a winner

Quote Originally Posted by riversrest View Post
    I'd get a hunting license before "looking to get into light hunting down the road".

What does "light hunting" mean, anyways ?
    I work very long hours; so its tough for me to get out and do like anymore than a couple hours; so thats why light hunting would be something of a day trip once in a while kind of thing. I guess regardless if I hunt or not I don't mind another rifle. I tell my wife I need a real hunting rifle but really if I don't use it to hunt i'm just as happy with the gun

CGN Regular
    223/556.
    simply the cost for a new shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Metaal Militiaa View Post
    You’re looking at this from the wrong angle. You buy a safe, and you lock the guns in the safe. My wife sounds a little bit like yours in that she has no interest in my firearms. If she doesn’t see them, it’s not even a topic.

Also, there is no such thing as one last gun.
    Ya I know ill itch and buy more in a few months lol I say last as a temp measure!

Quote Originally Posted by rdavidson View Post
    223/556.
    simply the cost for a new shooter.
    gotcha; I think ammo cost i can hide she won't know the difference for sure haha

If this is to be a "last" gun, I say go big or go home.

Sako in .270 or .30-06 would be (and is) my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Treme View Post
    If this is to be a "last" gun, I say go big or go home.

Sako in .270 or .30-06 would be (and is) my choice.
    its only last until my wife forgets that i've bought lots of guns giving it a few months; but also doesn't stop me from going big

You said you want something that is lighter in the recoil department, I’d suggest you find yourself a 243win, it will cover most of your needs.
    The TRUTH to a Liberal is as SALT to a SLUG!

ruger american predator gen 2 in 308, .270, or .243
    Check my post history to see my BRNO Mo. 3 Redux, and a 3D printed M1 Chassis for the Lil' Badger.
    https://julius-jahn.imgbb.com/

ya i'm going to got probably 270 or 6.5 creedmore for now; once i can buy another ill be looking to get .308 or .30-6

Surprised no one has said this: SKS.

My pitch for an SKS:

- The SKS is still one of the cheaper, semi-automatic rifles but it's going up in price.
    - It is a classic Canadian gun owner staple. Many, many Canadian gun owners have an SKS.
    - It is super reliable, easy to use, easy to maintain. It was originally meant for conscript armies and guerilla forces.
    - While not the most storied surplus (e.g. Enfields, Garands, etc.), there is still quite a bit of historical interest in the SKS.
    - It shoots a highly available and cheap round: the 7.62x39, especially if you are willing to shoot corrosive. You will shoot this gun way more if ammo is cheap.
    - It is capable of deer and black bear hunting. Is it optimal? No, but it's more than capable of getting the job done. And if you don't hunt down the road, you at least have a fun, affordable range gun shooting affordable ammo.

You mention concern about recoil. 7.62x39 isn't that bad at all because it's an intermediate cartridge, and millions of people around the world learned to shoot using an SKS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast