Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FELLOW DEALERS READ THIS: Shocking Fraudulent Transaction!!!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Janeau's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorerider View Post
    My experience with Canada post is they don’t really check ID. I never take my DL out of my wallet for them to see. Just a quick scan to see if the address matches. With the Canada post app and an easily printed fake ID you could pick up any parcel you can get the tracking number for. They also don’t care about the name on the ID, as long as the address matches.
    They do here. Each time and check address before releasing package. And they do ask for ID with picture.
    I tried to send my son ( not living with me ) to pick up a box and it was denied.

Possible the buyer IS the scammer ? He picked up the package and then make that story. If he got his ID stolen..they got more than just one card..did he fill a report to the cops for his stolen documents ? This sound fish shy.
    Anyway it suck big time to get scammed.

Sadly sometimes the "credit card applicant" is not defrauded but a co-conspirator who allows their name and ID to be used for a fraudulent transaction such as this. They may owe the drug dealer or human trafficker money, and applying for a credit card and claiming to be victimized in such a fashion is part of he debt owed.
    Burlington, Ontario

CGN Regular
    My experience here in lower mainland BC is that you only need to show that you live in the same address if you bring along the Delivery Notice Card to collect the package.

I think it is more likely the "customer" is also in on the scam, unfortunately I doubt RCMP will do anything as the amount lost is not too much (like hundred of thousands) and the credit card company/bank don't care cause they can make the merchant eat the lost.

Probably the only thing to do is not to do business with QC customer.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by badboybeeson View Post
    The client is the scammer.
    This is absolutely correct. The person, the legal card holder of the credit card, is the scammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooting Warehouse View Post
    I shipped the product out, sending the customer an email with Canada Post tracking info, and fully insured the package.
    Canada Post parcel insurance is called Liability insurance for a reason: they can and do cover for theft due to the negligence of their staff.

Press them hard enough and they have to pay you.
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

A few years ago Wolverine Supplies got stung a couple of times from a Laval (Montreal suburb) address on high end scopes. The second time they were cautious, like the OP but got stung again. That’s gotta hurt.
    The most asinine quote in Canadian history;
    A “fringe minority” in truckers convoy with “unacceptable views” “don’t represent Canadians”

CGN Regular
    The IP in your photo tracks to:
    Bell Canada BELLNEXXIA-11 (NET-70-48-0-0-1) 70.48.0.0 - 70.55.255.255
    Bell DSL Internet Quebec DSL-70-48-129-0-1604942812 (NET-70-48-129-0-1) 70.48.129.0 - 70.48.129.255

You can try talking to bell, or get the cops to request the owner of that IP address.

worth trying
    Gary.

Business Member Shooting Warehouse's Avatar
    Thanks to everyone that sent me PM's and all the interactions here. I appreciate all the kindness, and all the advice.

I have since spoken to the real customer today, and he's a journalist with a large newspaper in Montreal. He was a victim of Identity Theft, and I now have all the police report reference numbers as well as the Post Office report info and references.

I spoke to National Bank (the customer's card issuer) and they just shrugged their shoulders after an hour "battle" with them, and referred me to Mastercard. I will talk to the Montreal Police officer that is investigating the case on Monday, and will PUSH Canada Post. This is such utter BS.

But I hope everyone here reading this, gets some info from this and it helps someone to not get caught out like I did. I wanted to thank every person individually, but too many responses on here now. So THANKS to all!!

Have a great weekend all.

Cheers

Robbie

Robbie Stewart | Shooting Warehouse
    Email: robert@shootingwarehouse.com
    Tel: 403-430-1166

Is there no CCTV footage from the RPO where the package would have been picked up from by the scammer? Can police not request that?
    Caveat Emptor. All items sold as is. Thanks

I wouldn’t make the claim that Canada post guy was in on it, I’ve never had to provide ID at the post office, they’re pretty relaxed. I also deal with only small town outlets however.

Difficult to have to do but I would, as a retailer, set a maximum limit available for cc sales. Anything over that is EMT. No exceptions.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast